By Margaret M. Miles
A significant other to Greek Architecture presents an expansive evaluate of the subject, together with layout, engineering, and development in addition to concept, reception, and lasting impact.
- Covers either sacred and secular constructions and complexes, with specific cognizance to architectural ornament, corresponding to sculpture, inside layout, flooring mosaics, and wall painting
- Makes use of recent learn from computer-driven applied sciences, the examine of inscriptions and archaeological proof, and lately excavated buildings
- Brings jointly unique scholarship from an esteemed staff of archaeologists and artwork historians
- Presents the main updated English language insurance of Greek structure in numerous a long time whereas additionally sketching out vital parts and constructions short of additional research
Read or Download A Companion to Greek Architecture (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory_1 books
The Norton serious version of this influential Harlem Renaissance novel contains similar fabrics on hand in no different variation. identified simply because the “Ex-Colored Man,” the protagonist in Johnson’s novel is pressured to choose from celebrating his African American background or “passing” as a typical white guy in a post-Reconstruction the US that's swiftly altering.
Notwithstanding Friedrich Schiller loved admired literary status and nice recognition in 19th century literary England, his impact has been mostly ignored in contemporary scholarship at the interval. First released in 2003, this publication explores the sizeable facts of the significance of the playwright and philosopher’s inspiration to George Eliot’s novelistic artwork.
This learn offers a historical past of the literary tradition of early-modern Scotland (1560-1625), in accordance with large learn of the literary manuscript. It argues for the significance of 3 key locations of creation of such manuscripts: the royal courtroom, burghs and cities, and local homes (stately houses, but additionally minor lairdly and non-aristocratic households).
This booklet appears to the writings of prolific statesmen like D. F. Sarmiento, Estanislao Zeballos, and Euclides da Cunha to unearth the literary and political roots of the self-discipline of geography in nineteenth-century Latin the USA. Tracing the simultaneous upward push of text-writing, map-making, and institution-building, it deals new perception into how countries consolidated their territories.
- Decolonizing Indigeneity: New Approaches to Latin American Literature (Latin American Decolonial and Postcolonial Literature)
- Novel Ventures: Fiction and Print Culture in England, 1690-1730
- The Spanish Gypsy by George Eliot (The Pickering Masters)
- Collected Fiction Volume 3 (1931-1936): A Variorum Edition
- Studies in Ancient Greek Dialects: From Central Greece to the Black Sea (Trends in Classics - Supplementary Volumes)
- Culture and Revolution: Violence, Memory, and the Making of Modern Mexico (Border Hispanisms)
Extra info for A Companion to Greek Architecture (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)